My Total Money Makeover Community
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: NC government needs a TMMO
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/23/2009 08:35 AM
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/23/2009 08:35 AM
User is offline Print this message

MyTMMO User
What's a Baby Step?

I have to vent...Pardon if I am ranting. I just need to get this off of my chest.

I have just finished DR's book TMMO , and I am intensely applying these common sense strategies to my own life. I live in NC. And I am steaming after getting a letter from my child's elementary school about recent budget cuts and URGING strongly for family's to participate and really sell for the fundraiser they just started. Reason being...they need to make up for a $22K cut in the operating budget. The money solicited for the fundraiser will go to that budget shortfall and is supposed to keep a couple of teacher's aides on staff.

Ok First off this is not necessarily the schools fault, the state cut operating budgets accross the board so the county had budget cuts they had to apply across the board. Here is my gripe.

NC residents pay a state income tax on every dollar they make. Then there is of course property taxes on your home. Then everyone regardless of income pays a personal property tax on any registered motor vehicle, the tax assesed is determined by the "state's assement of value of the vehicle". Then there is a lottery in NC that is designated and marketed as the "NC State Educational Lottery". Then there is a state sales tax of 7% on all goods and services one purchases.

Here's what perplexes me there is supposed to be lottery revenue generated for education; so the state budget defeceit should not affect the quality or deliverance of our children's education. Right? I am working intensely on changing our spending habits, staying on budget, letting my family and friends know how serious I am by be accountable for what I spend. But now after paying for 3 children's school supplies, and the "extra" items the teacher can't require but needs, and a school supply fee per child to the public school to buy additional supplies throughout the year. I am being cornered into buying junk and throwing my family and friends under the bus and begging them to support our school by buying crap or magazine subscriptions so my children's school can make up a budget defecit. The problem is that the stuff they are selling is overpriced and when it is all said and done the school might get 35% of the profits. I would rather write a check directly to the school PTO than buy crap!!

I am all for supporting our schools the best way I can. I believe that teacher's don't make enough and aren't recognized enough for their dedication to our nation's children. Yet at the same time I am enraged at this states mismanagement of our tax dollars. I can't believe that with all of the state tax dollars collected combined that the state government cannot operate without taking money from our schools. How is this possible?

In addition what gives them the right to mismanage millions of dollars, and force taxpayers to pick up the tab for their ineptitude? It just doesn't make sense? Do you think that we as citizens of this state could force our state repersentatives to apply the strategies from the Total Money Makeover, as they are being horrible stewards to the money that we have entrusted them with?

I know this is lengthy but I am truly outraged and have to let the steam off this valve. Thanks for giving me the freedom and safety to do that here!

Stay at home mom of 4
---------------------------
BS1 Working 72% complete
Would you like to contribute to this conversation? Learn How : Link To : Top : Bottom
 09/23/2009 06:21 PM

MyTMMO User
Golden Gazelle

I hope you feel better now. Maybe it's time to look at running for your local school board.
Would you like to contribute to this conversation? Learn How : Link To : Top : Bottom
 09/23/2009 06:34 PM

MyTMMO User
Golden Gazelle

HAHA! Come to California!
 09/23/2009 08:34 PM

MyTMMO User
Writing Dave’s next book

Welcome aboard! Yup, government has a great talent to waste incredible sums of money and then expect more. It's like the worthless (insert relative) you never wanted!
 09/24/2009 06:01 AM

MyTMMO User
I am Dave

I've lived in Charlotte, NC for 8 years. It is the 5th highest taxed state. I got a promotion and raise to move here and my checks ended up being less

Try living in Charlotte. We are the most populated city in the state and yet, Raleigh will not finish our beltway around the city. Thanks, Bev Perdue.
Statistics
There are currently 40 users logged in.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.