Topic Summary: iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads
Created On: 04/29/2010 03:22 PM
<<
Previous
Next
Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/29/2010 07:26 PM
User is offline Print this message

MyTMMO User
Writing Dave’s next book

I love the iPhone, and I realize it's a want that I can easily justify for my business. I use it for scheduling, customer data base and can keep up with all bank accounts since all of my banks have apps.

I love the Mint App. I almost like it more than the Mint website.
Would you like to contribute to this conversation? Learn How : Link To : Top : Bottom
 04/29/2010 07:45 PM

MyTMMO User
Writing Dave’s next book

Bank of America. It uses the GPS to locate ATM's, I can transfer funds and pay bills.
Would you like to contribute to this conversation? Learn How : Link To : Top : Bottom
 04/29/2010 08:43 PM

MyTMMO User
Leaving a legacy

Bank of America. It uses the GPS to locate ATM's, I can transfer funds and pay bills.

I got one for Wells Fargo that does something similar, however since I have a Touch and not an iPhone that only works when I have Wi-Fi service. But that hasn't been a problem for a long time I can find free WiFi pretty much everywhere now. Strangely enough often even in the car I accidentally hit an app that requires and my iPod connect to an nearby restaurant/hotel/business or even someone's unsecured wireless router.
 04/29/2010 08:51 PM

MyTMMO User
Don't give me advice, you're broke!

Yep, gotta vote for mint.com. Its pretty awesome.
 04/29/2010 09:13 PM

MyTMMO User
Why call it The Dave Ramsey Show when I’m around?

I'm waiting for the YNAB iphone app.

Ditto
 04/29/2010 11:51 PM

MyTMMO User
Don't give me advice, you're broke!

As far as money apps, I only have Chase for my bank accounts. I love Shop-Shop, though, for keeping track of my shopping lists which helps keep me on budget for groceries. Other apps that I LOVE are Scrabble, Shazam, and RunKeeper.
 04/30/2010 12:58 AM

MyTMMO User
TMMO Guru

I love my USAA app for the iphone. Since I live in PA and there is no actual USAA branch near me I can just use the Deposit@Mobile app and have personal checks made out to me deposited to my account.
 04/30/2010 07:42 AM

MyTMMO User
TMMO Guru

I love my iPhone. I have to have access to emails and such at all times, and the iPhone is about the best out there. Lots of great Apps.

Mint.com
Chase
HoursTracker
ING Direct
AllRecipes
 04/30/2010 08:18 AM

MyTMMO User
Cash is King

I LOVED my iPhone, got if for my business (Pampered Chef). Canceled it, pre-DR, paid steep fees, when I realized I wasn't cut out for PC and therefore could not justify keeping it.

It is right next to me on my desk. Calling to me! Really should just sell it.
Have a ways to go in BS2, have a cheap cell phone just for emergency calls when out. No iPhone for me anytime soon.

Fi

ps to answer the question, I had not found a money app, would have used USAA's new mobile check deposit feature for PC orders and looked for an app to take CC orders. Now that I am on DR's plan, would use an app to track envelopes, SF, BEF, debt thermometer/payoff dates, grocery/purchase list, food/personal care items price list, pantry/freezer contents (for unexpected sales encountered)
 04/30/2010 09:39 AM

MyTMMO User
Certified Gazelle

I like the app for Suntrust bank but have thought all the other ones for finance are awful. Have been waiting for a quicken or TMMO app to let me enter my info from the phone rather than comin home to enter it online into the budget.
 04/30/2010 09:56 AM

MyTMMO User
Shaved head

Found w/Weight Watchers that the app is okay for when I'm travelling and don't want to bring books along, but daily use is easier by hand. They have some ridiculous amount of scrolling to find items. Same for financial apps, easier to use my computer (Gnu Cash free Mac app). But. I'm pretty experienced with spreadsheet apps and it is easier for me to set up my own stuff rather than use some business's idea of what I should need. (Probably a TMMO app would be more useful to us than those others, as the DR philosophy would likely be built in.) If I didn't have such ready computer access, would probably use an iPhone app more often. Do, for instance, occasionally use UPS app to track packages when I'm away from my personal laptop. Most frequently use local news apps, and bus schedule, occasionally radio.
 04/30/2010 11:00 AM

MyTMMO User
Shaved head

I just got a Droid in January. I was resisting the smartphone movement because I don't like the expense of the data plans, but I was able to get on a family plan with my parents, brother, and grandmother and I'm paying less per month with them than I was on my own for standard cell service plus text messaging.

I hope Mint comes out with an Android app soon. The only other money-related one that I've found and really like is the one that finds nearby Allpoint ATMs (fee-free for ING Direct users).
 04/30/2010 11:01 AM

MyTMMO User
I am Dave

None, because I use a Blackberry. On a personal level, I'd prefer an iPhone. But the reality is MY COMPANY pays for the phone and data plan and will NOT allow an iPhone to access our secure network. So I do not foresee an iPhone in my near future either.

I said all that to say this, I think it's great the DR/TMMO staff is doing research but I certainly hope you realize not everyone uses an iProduct and the overall plan includes developing useful apps for the Blackberry, Droid and Windows Mobile users.
 04/30/2010 11:57 AM

MyTMMO User
I am Dave

I have a Blackberry supplied by work as well. The full cost of mine is covered as a part of my being on the team that supports them. Other employees get partial compensation for their use of them. We support BB's directly due to better security controls available with the Blackberry Enterprise Server. iPhones are allowed to connect and access email as well, but because they can't be secured as tightly, they're not directly supported and seen as a "cool toy / want" by those who use them rather than a business need. When someone goes out of their way to pay for an iPhone when they could have a company supported (and partially paid-for) Blackberry, I'm sorry, it's a want... Staying connected to the office and customers is a need, playing with multimedia and showing off an apple logo is, well, enough said.

If it weren't for my employer providing mine, I'd have been back to flip-phone with basic calling access and no texting or net abilities back when I started my get-out-of-debt journey.
 04/30/2010 01:14 PM

MyTMMO User
I like stuff

Mint.com

It would be nice if there was an app/mobile web page for viewing the Gazelle budget
 04/30/2010 01:21 PM

MyTMMO User
I am Dave

When Iphone goes flash enabled I will consider getting one. Untill then forget it.
 04/30/2010 01:23 PM

MyTMMO User
TMMO Guru

I have a Blackberry supplied by work as well. The full cost of mine is covered as a part of my being on the team that supports them. Other employees get partial compensation for their use of them. We support BB's directly due to better security controls available with the Blackberry Enterprise Server. iPhones are allowed to connect and access email as well, but because they can't be secured as tightly, they're not directly supported and seen as a "cool toy / want" by those who use them rather than a business need. When someone goes out of their way to pay for an iPhone when they could have a company supported (and partially paid-for) Blackberry, I'm sorry, it's a want... Staying connected to the office and customers is a need, playing with multimedia and showing off an apple logo is, well, enough said.

If it weren't for my employer providing mine, I'd have been back to flip-phone with basic calling access and no texting or net abilities back when I started my get-out-of-debt journey.

So for those of us that it is not provided by a company, but we have are self employed and need access to emails, and other application with a mobile device, it is wrong to have an iPhone? The iphone cost me the same as a new blackberry, data plan is the same price, everything is the same, but I have a superior product. I have supported CrackBerry's for years, and it is not even close to an iPhone.
 04/30/2010 01:43 PM

MyTMMO User
I am Dave

So for those of us that it is not provided by a company, but we have are self employed and need access to emails, and other application with a mobile device, it is wrong to have an iPhone? The iphone cost me the same as a new blackberry, data plan is the same price, everything is the same, but I have a superior product. I have supported CrackBerry's for years, and it is not even close to an iPhone.

Iphones are 29 bucks?
 04/30/2010 01:56 PM

MyTMMO User
TMMO Guru

You can get last years model Blackberry that doesn't do the things needed for $29 bucks, but for the newer models that have more functionality they are more than the iPhones. I got mine for $99.00

But it comes down to an individuals needs. you can't assume that what is true for you, works for everyone. I have an iPhone, and it is a need not a want. I use it for business and have actually been able to terminate my laptop cell phone card saving me $50 a month instead of having 2 data plans.

Just don't beat someone upon the head because they have an iphone and are not out of BS3 yet. ;-)
 04/30/2010 02:34 PM

MyTMMO User
I am Dave

You can get last years model Blackberry that doesn't do the things needed for $29 bucks, but for the newer models that have more functionality they are more than the iPhones. I got mine for $99.00

But it comes down to an individuals needs. you can't assume that what is true for you, works for everyone. I have an iPhone, and it is a need not a want. I use it for business and have actually been able to terminate my laptop cell phone card saving me $50 a month instead of having 2 data plans.

Just don't beat someone upon the head because they have an iphone and are not out of BS3 yet. ;-)

I haven;t beat anyone up. I do refuse to play apples game. Locking out free apps is RUDE. I am expecting my free company provided trackberry (company will use them to track us) any day now. It will provide remote internet access either through its screen or connected to my laptop to give me remote internet on my laptop.
And like your Iphone the company can rid itself of cellular data cards at a huge cost savings considering there are 1000 of us doing this job.
FORUMS : Money Talks : Let's talk about apps.

<<
Previous
Next
Last unread
Statistics
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.