Increase font size
Topic Title: Brace yourselves!
Topic Summary: Gas prices
Created On: 02/23/2011 08:17 AM
Next
Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/23/2011 08:17 AM
User is offline Print this message

MyTMMO User
Cash is King

28 month high due to unrest in Libya. Hopefully fare increases aren't too bad as I will be taking more public transportation for the foreseeable future!
Would you like to contribute to this conversation? Learn How : Link To : Top : Bottom
 02/23/2011 08:26 AM

MyTMMO User
Better than I deserve

Definitely preparing ourselves here. Thankfully we live in a community where walking is an option and we have good public transportation. Not needing a 2nd car greatly helps to offet changes in fuel prices.
Would you like to contribute to this conversation? Learn How : Link To : Top : Bottom
 02/23/2011 08:38 AM

MyTMMO User
Drank Kool-Aid

I live in a place where there is no public transportation and I am 18 miles from work and 7 miles from any town (so walking is not an option either). Gas prices rose a dime a gallon overnight here yesterday. Didn't go through town this morning but scared to know what they are now!

Jokingly asked my boss yesterday if I could start wearing jeans to work so that I could ride my Buell (it's paid for too and gets around 65 miles per gallon!!) on pretty days. If gas prices keep this up, I won't be joking about it for long!!!
 02/23/2011 08:40 AM

MyTMMO User
I am Dave

Our prices went up 16 cents a gallon yesterday. I haven't driven by the gas station today yet, we will see here in a few minutes since I need to go and fill up today.
 02/23/2011 08:48 AM

MyTMMO User
Why call it The Dave Ramsey Show when I’m around?

Jokingly asked my boss yesterday if I could start wearing jeans to work so that I could ride my Buell (it's paid for too and gets around 65 miles per gallon!!) on pretty days. If gas prices keep this up, I won't be joking about it for long!!!

I have a coworker who rides to work every day - rain or shine - and brings his slacks/button-up shirt/dress shoes in a garment bag & changes when he gets here. But he rides a BMW, so that's way cooler than a buell.

DH is seriously considering getting rid of his gasguzzler (expedition) prior to the hikes in gas prices...
 02/23/2011 09:06 AM

MyTMMO User
Sold the kids

I have a 37 mile one way commute, and my car takes premium only. This is not welcome news...
 02/23/2011 09:13 AM

MyTMMO User
Show me the money!

Yeah, I have one of the 5% of cars that needs premium only too. At least I get ~46 mpg.

Edited: 02/23/2011 at 09:13 AM by MyTMMO User
 02/23/2011 09:19 AM

MyTMMO User
Writing Dave’s next book

We will be ok. We very fortunate to be within a mile of our kids schools, 4 miles to the military base. Within 10 miles to shopping, restaurants, and doctors office. Our last base we were 30 miles to the base, had three acres to mow, we really felt the pain when gas went up.

We'll see what happens, there's a lot of hype out there that we'll hit 5$ a gallon within a year.
 02/23/2011 09:24 AM

MyTMMO User
"Well, Dave says..."

Yeah, we're definitely paying to renew the tags on DH's street-legal dirtbike next month so he can start riding that to work again. Then we'll only drive the Expedition to church twice a week and dance class once a week. Thankful for the warm Florida weather that makes this an option!!
 02/23/2011 09:28 AM

MyTMMO User
Drank Kool-Aid

We'll see what happens, there's a lot of hype out there that we'll hit 5$ a gallon within a year.

This hype was out there before all this, so I can only imagine how bad it could get (plus I think these are excuses to make huge profits for someone, so hopefully someone will figure that out before we have another crash like 2008)!
 02/23/2011 09:37 AM

MyTMMO User
Finally Weird

I have an SUV, takes premium gas only, and I live in the country (10+ miles to closest town). This is going to hurt.
 02/23/2011 09:48 AM

MyTMMO User

ughhh.... we already spend $100 to $110 per WEEK! Yes, we do all we can to conserve. We just live in a rural area. Everything is at least 10 miles away. Dh drives 20 miles to work.
 02/23/2011 09:49 AM

MyTMMO User

I'll just tighten down the budget while the fear causes prices to run wild, and wait out the storm until they come back down like they did last time. I think the last cycle of high oil prices showed that $4/gallon is the breaking point for many people and the demand drops lower than the supply.
 02/23/2011 09:50 AM

MyTMMO User
Better than I deserve

DH drives 80 miles roundtrip daily in an SUV - so BIG ouch there. I am going to have to adjust his weekly gas envelope!

On the bright side - I have a company car and all my gas is paid for so this helps to offset his high costs.
 02/23/2011 09:53 AM

MyTMMO User
Writing Dave’s next book

I'll just tighten down the budget while the fear causes prices to run wild, and wait out the storm until they come back down like they did last time. I think the last cycle of high oil prices showed that $4/gallon is the breaking point for many people and the demand drops lower than the supply.

Ditto. DH is also hunting for a position for his promotion in the company and is looking for a store closer to our house - that'll help a lot whether or not prices change.

ETA: I'll also be travelling now for one work week each month, so that'll cut down on some of our fuel expenses.

Edited: 02/23/2011 at 09:54 AM by MyTMMO User
 02/23/2011 09:57 AM

MyTMMO User
I stole Dave's boat

I'm finishing an out of town class next week. Looks like it will be just in time to cut the mileage expenses.

Gas went up 15 cents in my town yesterday. Wow!
 02/23/2011 09:57 AM

MyTMMO User
Dave Ramsey Show Junkie

I don't work. So I pump once every blue moon.
Hubby works 5 minutes away, pumps every 3 weeks. I'm sure gas might be a bit more than usual but shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary, unless it goes up to 5.00. Right now we are very near 4.00.

Edited: 02/23/2011 at 09:58 AM by MyTMMO User
 02/23/2011 10:01 AM

MyTMMO User
"Well, Dave says..."

All of our vehicles are paid off, but it makes me want to buy a small car (with sinking funds) for me to drive to work (15-20 miles round trip). Right now, I drive an Acaida. But I have three kids in carseats, so I am not sure any cars are big enough.
 02/23/2011 10:02 AM

MyTMMO User
Sold the kids

Our gas budget in 2008, when DH was driving more than 500 miles a week was over $600/month - we are down to about $300/month (and far less oil changes). I always average 200 miles/week with an SUV and now DH is closer to that too.

We'll ride this out just like we did then. It's currently about $3.30 here - I also remember once it hit about $4 here previously, that is when people started cutting back and the price went back down again. (We are cheap here in the midwest - I can't imagine anyone I know paying $5/gallon)

The good news is that our town just approved "electric filling stations" and our car plant is going to be manufacturing a new hybrid vehicle. Still not the answer, but anything that helps get us less dependent on oil the better

Edited: 02/23/2011 at 10:03 AM by MyTMMO User
 02/23/2011 10:04 AM

MyTMMO User
I am Dave

We are a 2 Suburban family, along with one car.

NOT GOOD.
FORUMS : Money Talks : Brace yourselves!

Next
Last unread
Statistics
There are currently 23 users logged in.

FuseTalk Enterprise Edition - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.